1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dedicated Chopper Transport Squads

Discussion in 'Project Reality: BF2 - General Discussion' started by wolffy.au, Apr 2, 2008.

1. wolffy.au

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    #1 wolffy.au, Apr 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2008
    Tried something new today on Jabal Al Burj - a dedicated chopper transport squad.

I think it went ok. Some learnings were:
    - I did find that we had too many choppers in the air at anyone time/not enough squads requiring transport. This was also a problem as we had less choppers as spares waiting immediately after a crash.

- Pilots were too often taking choppers through the middle of hotzones. Problem was not where they were going, but how they got there. Not sure how to communicate that to the guys, as there isn't really any markers for that kind of thing. Tried VOIP but I know as the pilot its damn hard to hear anything over the rotors.

I will say, there was one pilot not in our squad that was doing some dodgy stuff.

It would be interesting to hear some feedback from the other squads.

2. Retribunator

Student and Woolies Deli worker
    Local Time:
    9:10 PM
    Well, As long as you have some LZ's up on the map and the pilots are really dedicated, just say which LZ you want to go to.

3. BiiGMacK

Gunbuster
    Local Time:
    7:10 PM
    Would be nice if you could put in waypoints

4. bishos30

Local Time:
    12:10 PM
    I've found that the best way for a chopper transport squad to work is to only fly one chopper at a time. This leaves an extra for other squads if they need it or a spare if you crash.
    I try and keep the squad to a maximum of 3 peeps and whoever isn't flying is a gunner. At least then you can use Voip to stop them from firing at nothing and a couple of times I've even managed to send attack choppers running by pulling up beside them when they're hovering and unloading a minigun into it before it realizes we're there.
    Probably also a decent tactic against infantry on the ground with the suppresion blur but I haven't tried it.

5. Psyrus

Engineer
    Local Time:
    If we had that many people in game who were quality ground pounders that the spots would be wasted if you were in the chopper, fair enough... but as it currently is...

Need for VOIP > spot being filled by someone else

Example from jabal al burj:

My squad asks for a pickup, I ask is the area hot. No response. I ask again, in a little less of a nice tone... IS, THE, AREA, HOT? I get the "Oh yeah well there's an apc here...."

Well then! It might not be the best idea to call the unarmed huey in... the one made of tinfoil... you know, that one?

Later in the game, at the bridge as well I get asked for an extraction by another squad, no voip. I type: Is the area hot? No answer. I repeat, using X squadleader's name. "IS THE AREA HOT"? No answer. I give them the benefit of the doubt because the person is a regular and I assume they just don't feel like typing "yeah it's fine" (I made sure he was alive).

Of course I get there, and what do you know! An APC and a Vodnik start laying into me. I manage to get over east beach flag before the fire kills my engine and I plummet into the water.

Pilots + no voip = neutered.

6. Gu^n3r

Local Time:
    i think it's better having just a single squad for one person in a heli, that way a SL can call in if they need transport or an attack run.

pilots should be in individual squads when numbers permit on larger maps that require it.

eg. kashan for airstrikes, better if ur a SL so u can communicate to all other SLs to get targets, better rely then going through your SL.

7. Slavak

Local Time:
    11:10 PM
    If you have a decent commander who knows how to use LZ's and a decent pilot who knows what they actually mean then by all means have a dedicated squad for pilots. But if you dont your far better as part of an inf squad.

8. Wokeye

Environmental Stuff
    Local Time:
    #8 Wokeye, Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
    I was on that JABAL round last night, there were some excellent chopper insertions. Best I've seen in a while. the US had us reeling back there for a while - enough to win the round even though we came back strong.

Your APC support seemed to fall away in the second half of the round, where some would sit still out in the open, not laying nearly enough suppression fire on us MEC inf. scampering about the ridges -> LAT fodder.

The chopper insertion at the end into west beach was great too, except the four troops dropped off didnt look behind the nearby hummer as they ran past it, where I was actually standing madly clicking 'e' ...then F2...then 'fire'...LAWL.

9. champsky

n/a
    Local Time:
    coffins with rotors is all i can say , i prefer terra firma to flying around in a deathtrap and will only ask for extraction if theres no vehicles.

10. Psyrus

Engineer
    Local Time:
    Meh... only because the majority of people who take off in them are slighly retarded! That whole... "it's only a game so if I die there's no consequences" mentality is the main culprit. Inserting troops next to a manned tank? Sure! No probs boss! (-_-*)

Hey Slavak, maybe you can weigh in on this one... since you know my opinion already. What do you think the outcome of that Kashan map we played on would have been had you stayed in the rando-f16 squad? Many tank kills?

11. champsky

n/a
    Local Time:
    hehe yeh if slavaks or yourself are piloting psyrus then ill jump in but otherwise its a guaranteed respawn , in saying that though sometimes i do take a gamble jumping in with an unknown pilot and it pays off .

12. jamtheman_m

Local Time:
    12:10 AM
    that was a pretty good Jabal round I must say

plenty of action, cant remember who won it...think I DC'd about 10 mins before it ended

one of the pilots landed a chopper and almost crushed our SL, funny stuff

13. Wokeye

Environmental Stuff
    Local Time:
    #13 Wokeye, Apr 3, 2008
    MEC lost that round based on 10-20? tickets in the end. Bloody close.

The ticket bleed in the final minutes was a bit...odd. We kept losing tickets quickly despite the US only holding one flag and minor deaths on our side. Oh well.

There was a good number of new players on, which is great to see. Regulars are going to have to increase our focus on new player education if we keep getting these sorta numbers. GO PR!

14. Shotgun

Local Time:
    I am always going ded Transport on maps like Jabal, i jump in my huey and a take people were the want. If we dont have a commander i never leave till i have me awnser. I just love when they jump out of the chopper and into someone else only to respawn 3 miniutes later looking for a ride.

15. Captain_Wolf

Media:
    ARA Rifleman
    Local Time:
    #15 Captain_Wolf, Apr 3, 2008
    IMO:

There should only be one transport squad on any map at any time.

The transport squad should only have the pilot (as SL) and a gunner if required.

The SL should use VOIP to coordinate with the commander, the other SLs tell the commander they need pickup and the commander in turn tells the transport SL who needs to go where.

What normally happens is that there is an unlocked transport squad that everyone joins.

Everyone thinks they are then supposed to grab choppers and fly around the map randomly like a taxi driver looking for a fare.

There are more choppers in the air than people on the ground.

There is no communication between 90% of the choppers and the rest of the team.

The choppers get shot down in record time and the team looses most of its mobility and therefore looses the game.

EDIT: The same goes for attack aircraft squads.

16. Slavak

Local Time:
    If we had a commander and the SL's could place CAS markers then perhaps, but no I'd say having a SL lazing targets is really useful. Plus we can do strafing runs on attack markers to save your ass :p

17. CaptAndy

Regional General Manager
    Local Time:
    8:40 PM
    I was pulling my hair out last night with some of those "slightly retarded" (to quote Psyrus) pilots.

As USMC commander last night, it smoked my mullet, the way one guy would go out of his way to wait & fill the chopper then fly over what seemed to be every enemy he could, getting no closer to where he was instructed to land..

Thesre was a critical point in the 3rd quarter of the round when, if given some smart flying, we had east jabal set to cap with a firebase close by, just capped bridge & were set to move the fight into the jabal city centr & away from bridge.. We could have pushed a decisive victory, but, poor flying caused way too many deaths & we ended up loosing bridge then dam & got pushed back to west beach.

Given the time again I would change the stratagy... Wolfy & his guys did some great flying, its just some other guys that were flying well physically, but lacked any noticable logic in flight patterns... even when told directly....

18. champsky

n/a
    Local Time:
    #18 champsky, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
    slavak , no more letting people cap out to get to the maps where you can fly please , its not much fun and boring as hell :p

19. Slavak

Local Time:
    Just wanted to get of the "darqui,fools,ejod" loop that the server seems to be running every night I wanna play

20. +SiN+ solo60

Local Time:
    or the one onto the the mountain compound near west beach, when you, me and another squady were ready for the ambush and proceeded to kill all the poor USMC troops that had just disembarked.

that was one sweet round.. if only the other squads stayed at main, and let our squad and jims squad do the work.. I wasnt happy they tried to push wave after wave of men at east, only to lose our 10 ticket lead and turn it into a 20 ticket deficet.