1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Map rotations

Discussion in 'Squad - Server Information & Feedback' started by floop, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:
    6:39 PM
    Sitting down Friday night and smashing out a new rotation. You should see it on the servers from Saturday onwards

2. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Thanks for the map rotation update guys!

I really, really don't mean to sound ungrateful here - you guys listened to our feedback and gave us a new rotation which is fantastic and is why BigD is the most popular Squad server in Australia. But since this is a feedback thread I figure I'll share my opinion on the new rotation so far.

I've only seen the first 2 maps in rotation and they were an INF map followed by Sumari ITC. Sumari ITC is far worse than regular Sumari AAS in my opinion and I'm not a fan of INF maps at all. Can you guys post the full map rotation so we can see what else is included? I don't know about everyone else but I was hoping the new maps would be larger maps (PAAS instead of AAS for Logar and Chora, no Sumari whatsoever, no INF whatsoever) but INF and ITC are the complete opposite - they are the smallest and least tactical maps in the game. I would personally rather go back to the old map rotation than have to play INF and ITC maps, but of course that's just my opinion. Obviously you guys who created the map rotation have a different opinion and I could very well be in the minority here.

Here is what I would suggest for the new map rotation (with shuffle maps turned on). I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Maybe we could test both out and put it to a vote to see which one the community would prefer?

Yeho AAS v2
    Fools Road AAS v3
    OP First Light AAS
    Logar PAAS
    Chora PAAS
    Kokan AAS
    Kohat AAS v1
    Kohat AAS v2
    Gorodok AAS v1

Anyway thanks again for listening to our feedback and sorry for being such a PITA with this.

Filthy Crab likes this.
  3. Filthy Crab

Community Moderator Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    That rotation was shifty due to map changes from the seed, INF starts the rotation and ITC is about 6 after. The rest are much bigger and closer to the requests, like Chora PAAS etc.

4. panda_virus

Donator

Media:
    Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    9:39 PM
    Yeah less Sumari, more Kokan, new layers of Yehrovka and Fools Road, some new Chora layouts etc

StupidSexyFlanders and Greene like this.
  5. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Can we remove all INF, ITC and non-PAAS versions of Logar and Chora from BigD 3 please?

6. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:
    There is one INF map and it will stay to help seed on server boot and to mark the end of the rotation. ITC will probably go if enough people want it gone. I'm not a fan myself.

Logar and choral AAS will most likely stay in the rotation since the more layers the better. Stops them getting over played and stale.

7. Filthy Crab

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    A new rotation will be going up on BigD #2 today, taking into account everyones requests. Let me know what you think.

Aarnoman (Yoyo) likes this.
  8. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    One thing i noticed today on the PAAS server. The map before Sumari ITC, if you are insurgents you then go onto play Sumari ITC as militia, then Kokan as Insurgents again.
    Is there a way you can change it up so you aren't playing three AK rounds in a row?

9. Filthy Crab

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    #5 is up now as PAAS and AAS - Testing Server

10. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Still too many shitty layers on all the servers

11. Filthy Crab

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    They'll be no updates to the rotations untill we get a handle on the latest layers

12. Madhouse

Head Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    Can you please list each layer you find brown?

13. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    All INF maps, Logar AAS 1, Chora AAS 1 (I think it's AAS 1, could be AAS 2 - it's the tiny one with Grape, Hemp and Insurgent Checkpoint), Yeho V1, Fools Road V1.

Logar AAS 1 is so played out and repetitive. Chora AAS 2 and Chora PAAS shits all over Chora AAS 1, Yeho V2 >>>>>>>>>>> Yeho V1, Fools Road V3 >> Fools Road V1. Sumari is only good for seeding but would be better left out of rotation - if someone wants to seed they can ask admin to change map manually to Sumari. INF Maps turn me off completely, even when seeding. I usually play on US servers while INF maps are on BigD and come back when the map changes to non-INF. If it were a small map I'd help seed but I just don't like INF - it leaves almost no room for actual strategy.

It feels like I have to play ~3-4 matches before a good map comes up. And it seems like the bad layers come up more often than the good layers (e.g. Yeho V1 feels like it comes up a lot more often than Yeho V2, which is a much better layer). I don't know anyone who would want to play Chora AAS 1 instead of the other Chora layers, or Yeho V1 instead of V2, etc.

Maybe if the community voted on their favourite layer for each map and then have a 'Community Favourites' server that only plays the best layers. Quality >>> Variety in my opinion.

14. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:

Thanks for the feedback.. I'll add some clarification for you as well as my own opinion.

Do keep in mind what filthy crab said about the rotations not changing until we figure something's out (sometimes its better to hold off and do it right once then stumble around repeatedly, wasting time).

So logar is overplayed, not wrong there. I think comes down to a few reasons. First of all, logar pass is the bomb, but its way too many tickets for a small pop server, and people like logar. We need a few more logar layers for variety. Militia v ins logar would be amazing etc. If its in future rotations I'd say it will only be in once per rotation, so its just a matter of making sure that rotation varies.

Chora v2 is the **** single lane one, and its ****. Not wrong there. Its overplayed since for a while it was the only chora layer in rotation and on top of that, its **** with little chance on tactic variety. I would also like to see it gone.

Yeho v1 I personally quite like to be honest with you. Yeho still needs a detail pass in my opinion and it could do with a shuffle round of the flag layout but the concept of us v Russia on yeho is awesome.

And fools v1. What's wrong with it? If you take it out then all of a sudden v3 seems overplayed and we are right back where we started.

That's my thoughts mate. Hope it helps

15. Aarnoman (Yoyo)

Squad Admin Event Officer

Media:
    Local Time:
    8:39 PM
    Just to comment regarding the INF layouts, they are more or less a must for seeding. If server pop is below 30 people all other layouts cause constant DC's. This is pretty evident by seeing how quickly the oceanic.gg small maps server fills up in the earlier parts of the day if we do not have any INF layers active on our servers. Once pop is above ~30 non-INF maps are fine, but until that critical point is reached non-inf maps slow seeding significantly.
    As for Chora V1 (I assume this is the single lane 1?), it's the worst layer by far. Definitely needs a cull from the rotations.

StupidSexyFlanders likes this.
  16. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    You are way too slow with what you do. Theres issues that have been there for a long time and you arent really getting solutions out there.
    Theres certain expectations community players have for the people making these rotations. When you see an issue you need to look into it and adjust it within those few days.
    My specific example of when there is a time in the rotation where a team has AKs 3 rounds in a row whikst the other shuffles between US etc.
    15 days later and its still not addressed.

When a new map comes released you are quick to put it in rotation, apart from that you take weeks.

I understand you're volunteering your time to all this, but you've also put yourself in this position. You need to take some action, nut out the Opfor bluefor, start making a variety of sample rotations and trial them each fortnight.

As flanders has said, a community favourite server would be good, maybe have like a top 8 or top and 10. Everyones opinion changes overtime and we miss the old maps, so maybe do this monthly.

For now though it feels as though nothing is being done.
    Im not sure how hard it is all to do, but i feel like the first part is working out opfor bluefor and we can start thinking up a variety of rotations.

Im seeing too often people getting frustrated, disconnecting, killing a server. Its not good for the community and new players.

17. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:
    #37 Steez, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
    Literally just made the new rotations.

Server 1 is what we hope addresses all your feedback and makes you love us long time. It is a no Sumari, lots of PAAS and big map rotation the gods would envy.

Server 2 is similar, however with a Sumari layer and some of the layers that miss the cut on 1 (logar v1 and yeho v1 as examples) for those that still want to play it.

Server 3 is INF and INS, because why not, and again for those that still want to play it

Server 4 is the whitelist server and will most likely mirror Server 1 in rotation when its active.

18. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    When i think about it, the issue with server rotation started when vehicles came out and for some reason all the old maps were left out. And for months nothing was done. This is where frustrations stem from, because we think nobody is listening.
    And if you are, you need to make that known in discord or some other kind of announcements. There needs to be more communication and time given to this.

19. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    Good work steez, what i think would be good is if we can work out a few different shuffles of each, and perhaps we can do fortnightly shuffles of the maps on each server?

20. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:
    Layers were taken out due to instability after v7. It is alpha, nothing could be done about it. However, I more or less agree with what you are saying (Christmas not withstanding), and hopefully this can be improved in the future.