1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Map rotations

Discussion in 'Squad - Server Information & Feedback' started by floop, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Steez

Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    5:35 AM
    Possibly. It has been talked about before. However, pretty much all maps are in rotation except for the ones we can all agree are absolute shite (chora v2 etc.), so as long as you rotate jumping on 1 and 2 you should get to play the lot.

2. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    At the end of the day you can't please everyone, some people like maps, some hate some. I think we all know the maps disliked more than others. If we can say remove a few of the unpopular ones for 2 weeks, bring them back, remove others, it will keep the maps feeling fresh.

3. Filthy Crab

Community Admin Squad Admin Event Officer Donator

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    Boys we need to take a calm approach to this matter. I personally have spent much time attempting new rotations and testing them, not mentioning works put in by Spono, Madhouse and Steez. In regards to creating a map rotation, the aim is balance, replayability, community enjoyment, effect on the server(Load and stability) and previous rotations.

With each map there is 2 sides OpFor and Blufor and these can change with new updates and other layers being added to the mix. This in fact happened quite drastically in the vehicles update and each new version after that. Layers changed and new maps(e.g Kokan) were added. Amongst these changes Blufor/Opfor siding as we knew it was turned on the head and this has happened multiple times, which while not impossible to fix takes time. The danger that can be present is creating a rotation only to have the siding changed once again. Other issue present include, problems with INS layers and certain maps being unstable or unsuitable for play(Some might agree Chora v2 with the vehicles get stuck)

Now every post in this thread I have read, every voiced concern I've attempted to hear and address. If there is a feeling of lack of communication or disparity between how admins and players view things, let talk it out., bring it up with the senior leaders in the community that way we can avoid these types of feelings. Once again also I am putting together a better way to request and build community driven rotations, but it's going to take understanding on both parts.

Any problems. fire away.

4. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Can you post the map rotation so we can comment on it and help you create the best rotation possible? It's a bit hard when we have to go by memory. I've been playing about 50/50 BigD vs US servers because of how **** the rotation has been recently so I'm really looking forward to see what you guys have done. Having Logar AAS 1 followed by Sumari on the last rotation was absolute torture. So long as there's no INF maps, Sumari, Logar AAS 1 or Chora AAS 2 and all the remaining layers get equal rotation then I'm sure the community will be happy.

As for the delay in action, I have to kind of agree. A lot of us have been requesting map rotation changes almost daily yet it takes weeks before anything is done. Entire servers will empty out when Sumari comes on yet Admins won't change the map or remove it from the map rotation. Or when the map rotation does change it's not changed according to community recommendations. I'm probably the most vocal about wanting these changes and I'm actually holding myself back quite a lot so I don't annoy the **** out of you all. At times it does feel like our suggestions are being ignored.

I don't know how being an Admin works but it seems like there's too much bureaucracy when it comes to these things. Maybe instead of having to go through 5 different people to update the map rotation, make it just one person's job. That way they can update the map rotation every couple hours if they wanted to instead of having to wait to get X's permission who also needs to get Y's permission which takes literally weeks.

5. Madhouse

Head Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    #45 Madhouse, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Being an admin means taking a large portion of your personal life and dedicating it to providing a service for many people without much thanks or reward.

It's Christmas holidays time, please remember that we all have families and friends who we like to spend time with once in awhile, well except the mother in law...
    There have been unforeseen absences as well, again it's a tough time of year to plan around the few who can make changes to the servers.

The majority of the admin team are there to encourage teamwork and fairplay while also resolving any in game rule breaches.
    A select few are designated to handle support tickets, server configuration and as an escalation point for serious rule & behaviour infractions.

The map rotations were been worked over the last week and finalised last night. Give them a try for a few days, there are separate rotations on each of the Three main servers so the player base can try and choose the better rotation.
    We have developed an in-house map rotation system that with the correct data from each map layer, will detriment if the same side will be opfor/blufor. Now with the tool up to date, rotations will be easier to create with constructive feedback from the player base.

Please remember RULE 0: Nothing works better than Teamwork (Teamwork and Maturity). That includes how feedback is delivered and how individual players conduct themselves on our servers. We as admins also need to take part in the teamwork so to speak.
    There will be community communication in regards to future direction, structure and escalation points in the near future.
    Individual admin issues should be discussed with me personally.

6. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    There has been a lot of complaining about rotations in game. Its actually lead to me being banned yesterday, and had i known you were in the process i wouldnt of said any thing.

Thats where the lack of communication comes in. We say something outside of the thread, and we are just told to stop complaining and play the rotation. There's no its being worked on or whatever. You pretty much have 20 bots that just ban people for tks or being rude. Whether thats a lack of communication from senior admins to them, i dont know. But as an admin they need to do more to answer questions or direct people to forums etc. And if they see a lot of people are whinging about certain things they need to tell you guys so you can change it. Because its the comminity players that help you seed everyday, its the community that donates etc. I feel like none of that has been done, at least i havent seen it.

Also i don't see how it can take no longer than say an hour to sit down in an empty server and map change through every map to get the opfor blufor at the start of every update. You can sit on Facebook at the same time, watch some youtube. Then after that you can get a rotation going and just put in to the server as a tester. Every update after the first vehicle update the game has been a lot stabler and theres less chance of maps being buggy.

I dont do all this so im just guessing but it seems like your biggest problems are working out opfor bluefor. Then you can experiment different rotations in a live server.

7. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Can we remove all INF maps please? If you need a layer for seeding then use Fools Road Skirmish. Everyone just joins US servers instead of BigD when INF maps are up.

8. Filthy Crab

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    Depends which server you are referring to, BigD #3 is INS + INF, that will not change soon, as it is still being tested.

BigD #1 and #2 have one INF at start of rotation to allow community seeding, whether an admin is present or not.

9. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    Having INF doesn't actually help with seeding, in fact is makes it worse. Most people will just play on OWI, Oceanic or US servers if they see that BigD has an INF map on.

E.g. BigD 1 just had an INF map on and round ended with 10 players on the server. Next map was Yeho AAS V2 and suddenly there's 30 people in the server. Nobody likes INF maps!

10. DaveCleasc

Squad Admin Event Officer Media Officer Donator

Local Time:
    5:05 AM
    You all have to remember that these are your opinions and there are many others out there. The admins are listening to many other players on top of the feedback provided by the most vocal.
    Many people like the things you don't (eg, INF & Sumari). You may not join an INF map during seeding hours, but they do in fact get people onto the servers.
    As has already been stated, we can't please 100% of people.

I don't see why some members think we aren't listening and given you know most of us are volunteering our time, maybe we could try to have a little more patience.
    We all have maps we like and dislike, I can't stand INS layers. There will always be people who DC because the server rolls a map they dislike.
    I do think we need a more accurate method of determining what maps and layers people want in rotation, but even then it would probably be skewed because many players don't visit the website frequently enough.
    At the end of the day, this has always been a problem on multiplayer servers where a scripted rotation is used and it will continue to be a problem into the future. We just need to try and minimise that problem.

Filthy Crab likes this.
  11. Madhouse

Head Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    I'll just add this: there is map voting system been developed by a third party utilising the rcon protocol.

We may consider using it just how we did previously with our Project Reality server,even if on at least one server - say the 'Community' server, whether that's WhiteListed or not can be decided when the voting system is build and ready.

Syko Skipy and DaveCleasc like this.
  12. ubachung

Local Time:
    I think overall the map rotation is pretty good right now, but I'm a bit frustrated by the the lack of INS games. Maybe it's just not popular among players, but for me it's the most interesting and dynamic game mode.

Am I alone in wanting more INS?

Aarnoman (Yoyo) likes this.
  13. Aarnoman (Yoyo)

Squad Admin Event Officer

Media:
    Local Time:
    7:35 AM
    I personally wouldn't mind seeing INS in either the #1 or #2 rotation. Not a fan of the INF/INS rotation of #3, one game mode works well with few people whereas the other one necessitates a large player population. I would much rather see a 1:3 ratio (one INS per 3 AAS/PAAS modes) adopted, I think it merits a trial.

14. Steez

Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    INS is just too buggy atm unfortunately for such a setup

Aarnoman (Yoyo) likes this.
  15. ubachung

Local Time:
    I forgot about the cache spawn bug tbh. That helps explain why INS games always seem to be empty.

Hopefully once the bugs are ironed out it will become more viable and popular!

16. Steez

Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    For sure. It is a lot of peoples favorite game mode. Once it plays better and the bugs are fixed expect to see it often.

ubachung and Aarnoman (Yoyo) like this.
  17. Filthy Crab

Media:
    Electrician/Musician
    Local Time:
    Also ridiculous FOB sizes cause server instability.

Greene likes this.