1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Squad server feedback

Discussion in 'Squad - Server Information & Feedback' started by Spono, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Spono

Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    5:18 PM
    #1 Spono, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
    Hi everyone.

Here is your chance to have a say on the setup of our SQUAD servers. Currently we are testing all 3 of our servers on 54 slots with a reserve of 2.

This is temporary so we can gain an understanding of what the community enjoys and make sure there is a good balance in terms of modes, maps, and performance. We welcome constructive feedback only. Please be mindful that not everybody enjoys the same thing, so please make sure your opinions reflect this.

We have seen an increase of players to our servers since the change to 54 slots. The main reason behind the change is to seed 2 servers, and allow people to get a game when one server is full. Instead of 70 players playing at one time, we can easily make it 100+ . As BigD #2 is also AAS + INS so gives players a chance to play both game modes and mix it up. I will look at removing INF maps from #2 this week, and #3 will be open to suggestions on what you guys would like to see.

We do have a high rate of players coming and going with an average playtime of less than 8 minutes. Which is high in comparison to other servers.
    There are also performance benefits currently with slots below 54-60 slots, and take into consideration the amount of members who have high end and low end rigs.

We are looking at white listed server for community members only, this will be for active members who support the community.

Also If you want a certain thing, please state why you want it, not just that you want it :)

Example:

"I want 64 player servers as I feel they are more balanced than 54 or 70 and give better game play. Also I feel that we should play more PAAS maps as I have heard good feedback from players in game, maybe even a PAAS server?"

They are as follows:

BigDGaming.net #1 | Aus/NZ | Vehicle AAS Maps! - 54 slots ( looking to return to 70 slots)

Running all AAS maps with vehicles

BigDGaming.net #2 | Aus/NZ | MIXED | AAS & INS - 54 slots ( Stay mixed but will remove INF only Maps)

Running a Mix of AAS maps including Infantry only and Insurgency

BigDGaming.net #3 | Aus/NZ | Infantry AAS Only! - 54 slots ( May become white listed 54 or 64 slot server? )

Running INF only maps

Cheers!

2. Ting

Media:
    Local Time:
    5:48 PM
    Awesome i think the changes you put at the bottom are spot on, AAS only back to 70 and keep the other two 54 slotters and the INF only option is nice to have, i personally like this alot.

Spono likes this.
  3. woodsie

Local Time:
    Honestly, I prefer having the servers being around max pop. However, I haven't been able to play since early August, so I can't say how performance is with ~70 players (with a 970). I reckon having BigD1 at max pop with vehicles, BigD2 with the mix of INF only and Insurgency, and having BigD3 with the option of admin discretion, i.e. having the players on #3 vote for map/mode sounds like a good idea to me.

3D_Gimp and Spono like this.
  4. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    My vote:

BigD 1: AAS Only - 52+2
    BigD 2: AAS/Insurgency only (no Infantry or ITC) - 70+2
    BigD 3: All maps/modes (AAS, Insurgency, Infantry, ITC) - Password protected/white-listed community server - 62+2

5. AussieFirebird

Community Moderator Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    security tech
    Local Time:
    Look i'm happy for the servers to go back to 72, --ONLY-- if we can pop the other servers. i used to struggle to get a game if i was trying to join during the peak hours mainly because our community doesn't like to seed. At the time of writing this we have both servers nearly full that is true, however if you made server 1 72 i don't believe the 30+ players would stick around to seed the other servers. BIG D has three servers so why change stuff unless we are maxing out on all 3? also for people running a i5 and lower cpu the performance benefit is ridiculously amazing with lower player pop.
    Cheers fellas, Aussie out!

Meatbomb83 and Spono like this.
  6. [ZSU] mato_

Local Time:
    i don't feel like we cover the scope of what squad truly is at 54 (27 per team) particularly with the size of some of the maps
    70pax w/ stability is my vote.

Spono likes this.
  7. Spono

Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    Why? :)

8. StupidSexyFlanders

Media:
    Local Time:
    BigD 1: AAS Only - 52+2
    The small-pop server: For those who have performance issues at max-pop or just prefer smaller-pop servers. I probably wouldn't play on this server much as I much prefer max-pop. It's a compromise to keep everyone happy. AAS only because people obviously like it - BigD 1 is almost always the more populated server. Suggestion: To help with seeding, I suggest turning this server into an Infantry Only server between 12am to 12pm. This wouldn't be too difficult to do would it? Just keep two map rotation files and switch them up every 12 hours? I'm sure I could find a way to automate it.

BigD 2: AAS/Insurgency only (no Infantry or ITC) - 70+2
    The main public server: Max-cap because Squad is meant to be played with large numbers (increase to 98+2 as soon as feasible). AAS and Insurgency only because those are the two best game modes by far. Very, very few people would ever choose to play Infantry Only or ITC over AAS or Insurgency, so keep those out. (not saying they're bad, just nowhere near as good as AAS and Insurgency).

BigD 3: All maps/modes (AAS, Insurgency, Infantry, ITC) - Password protected/white-listed community server - 62+2

The community server: This server will likely only be populated during peak hours but when it actually is populated, this will be the best server by far. Players will need to register here on BigD and be part of the community if they want to play - so no more TKers, no more SLs without mics, no juggling SL kits at the start of every match, actual teamwork happening every round, etc. It will be amazing. Maybe it's just me but there is so much cancer in the pub servers at the moment. 64 players as a compromise since some people want 56-max and some want 72.

hak52, BLACKTASTIC, Steez and 4 others like this.
  9. BANTER Shortass

Local Time:
    bring back 70

10. Spono

Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    Good chat, but why exactly?

3D_Gimp and Meatbomb83 like this.
  11. GagReflex_Barbie*

Donator

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    BigD #3 down to 36 slots on INF only. To allow players that just want a tight bit of squad on squad action.

Meatbomb83 likes this.
  12. woodsie

Local Time:
    I love the larger pop in the Squad servers, once I get my gpu fixed I'll be happy to help seed the servers whilst playing medic, should be mid-October by the time I'm back. I think having one 70 pop server with the other two around 50-60 pop would do wonders for the game and the BigD servers, if only just to get BigD #2 andf #3 seeded well.

13. EuphoricBliss

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    I like Flanders' suggestions. Let's try and have a popular 52 player server so we can play with nice performance on the regular, at least until v8 drops & then up the pop count big time.

14. ACC1

Media:
    Local Time:
    I launch squad
    I click server browser
    I look for BigD's
    I look for the server with the most players in it with vehicles
    I join

3D_Gimp likes this.
  15. Kanye South

Donator

Local Time:
    We need at least one server at 70 players. If people want to complain about performance, they can play on the low pop servers.
    You come as a new player into this game, what do you want to play? a 54 player server or a 70 player server?

16. Steez

Steez Guest

Local Time:
    #16 Steez, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2016
    I very much like Flanders suggestions, but I would swap 1 and 2 around. Insurgency has the worst frames, mainly due to the amount of people and emplacements in your render view all the time.

If any server needs the lower pop to be playable, its that one.

The one bug arguement to having a 72 player server is the second server doesn't get populated. Leave the 72 as AAS for the plebs. That way if community members want something different, then they have a motive to seed 2, (INS, slower play, less people required to get to max server limit)

And then if 3 is whitelisted, there is your motivation to seed that bad boy! Even with lower player limits and INF, gameplay will be consistent and intense, with all players knowing the game well. Would be a good excuse to allow clans to stack against other clans and practice playing as full squads of ULD, F, NA etc.

I also think there needs to be more than 2 reserved slots on our main server, since that is where the chaos will be and having 3-4 admins always able to jump in will allow for a higher chance to get at least 1 on each team. This is needed to admin a public server efficiently. At the moment, the is a good chance both admins will land on the same team, instead of 2 admins communicating in admin chat letting the other know about base/fob camping and wall glitches etc.

• Server 1: AAS only, 68 + 4
    • Server 2: AAS/INS mix, 50 + 2
    • Server 3: all modes mix, whitelisted 72 player server

Hippy Matador, Ting and BLACKTASTIC like this.
  17. Devar

Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    3:48 PM
    The low pop server is annoying for one reason. In prime time, it's full, for hours.
    So, my connection sucks and drops from time to time. Obv when I try to reconnect and continue that game that was in progress you're SOL.
    Which makes you all like
    [​IMG]

18. Hippy Matador

Local Time:
    i think steez nailed it for a solution... and i think Devar echoes how i feel in prime time..

19. Spono

Squad Admin Donator

Media:
    Local Time:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. We will be looking at future tweaks to the servers but for now here are the changes.

For now the servers are as follows:

BigDGaming.net #1 | Aus/NZ | Vehicle AAS Maps! - 70 public slots

Running all AAS maps with vehicles, from 52 to 70 public slots

BigDGaming.net #2 | Aus/NZ | AAS + INS - 52 public slots ( No INF maps)

Running a Mix of AAS maps and Insurgency, removed INF maps remains 52 slots

BigDGaming.net #3 | Aus/NZ | Infantry Only - 52 public slots ( May become white listed AAS 64 slots )

No real change here atm, looking at white listing this server.

Cheers.

Feel free to comment.

20. Bigsmokeee

Donator

Media:
    Tree planter haha
    Local Time:
    8:48 PM
    Quick question.. do they still have the smaller maps in rotation like what we used in the 10 v 10 scrims? if so would it be possible to trial a 32 player server running only the scrim maps in rotation for a week or something.. 1 reason is 32 players if half than full and we would still have a large 70 player and 52 player running it could entice player traffic through the 3 servers.

so my reason is the 72 might be full.. but people may want to play the smaller 32 player server because they can still play with low pops while they wait and if it fills up it may switch to the 52-70 servers.

anyways just a random thought to discuss.

Hippy Matador and Greene like this.