Well what a year! Here we are, about to sit down to eat way too much food once again.
Lets recap the going-ons of the past 12 months at our local BigD Gaming Community:
After the Return of BigD Gaming in 2015 with Project Reality v1.3, we have gone from strength to strength with the launch of SQUAD on Steam in December 2015. We have experienced an explosion of growth bigger than the ham raffle at the local RSL the weekend before Christmas.
We have seen numerous individuals become regular members of the community, Five new community units come alive, movement to stronger, dedicated server hardware and of course a growing love of Squad and its unique teamwork-based game-play first developed in Project Reality, the place where this community originally grew from.
Its been a pleasure to watch this community go back to the future and it where it belongs, a fun, awesome place to game at with great people and great game-play.
So This Game Called SQUAD
From the moment SQUAD released on Steam, it came out with a small but solid start:
- Kohat & Logar maps
- 2 game modes
- 3 factions
- basic movement and animations
- barebones of Project Reality gameplay
- a ton of bugs
Since then Squad has gone from possible steam early access floop to a solid and successful game with a bright future.
Over the past 12 months, we have been treated to regular updates that brought the following features and improvements:
- Russian Forces
- Weapon optics
- Server Licencing
- Server performance increases
- Gorodok, Yehorivka, Kokan, 24 new map layers in total
- Official SQUAD SDK + a budding modding community
- Vehicles - HELL YES FINALLY!
- HMMVW (Normal & CROWS)
- Rocket Techie (Unarmed, 50cal, SPG, Rocket)
- Vehicle repair station,
- Numerous New Weapons added
- Optimization Bullet Penetration
- UI Changes
- New player models
We had nearly 1000 users register on our website, with over 600 registered users who have Steam and Squad linked to their BigD account - which all have access to our Community Whitelisted server and events.
Squad is only going to get bigger and better as the development matures and marches towards the Beta stage in 2017.
I can not wait for Helicopters and the British!
This community survives on donations, its the lifeblood of our services we can and do offer.
- 159 separate donations
- 126 individual donors
- Average donation = $20
- Top single donation = $200
- Full donation list can be found here: BigD Server Costs | BigD Gaming Community | http://www.bigdgaming.net/goals/bigd-server-costs.1/
Not all contributions are made with dollars, a big part of the BigD Gaming Community's success comes from the many level-headed individuals leading by example in-game, assisting new players to the world of Squad and just been all round great people - these people are more valuable than gold. Again, thank you very much for all you do to help out for the greater good.
There have been big changes in the way we communicate to and as a community
- We said goodbye to Teamspeak and hello to the new kid on the block: Discord
- BigD Discord has grown to have over 600 members
- Direct admin assistance
- Event & News notifications
- Join Discord link: Discord | https://discord.me/bigdgaming
- Developed our website further:
- Media section - easy content sharing
- Streaming hub - advertise streams
- Website Style - unique to us
- Website useability - better layouts and easier browsing
- Website hosting moved to a corporate hosting package
- Page loading times reduced
- Uptime improved
- Future abilities available
- Facebook page used for community news and events announcements
- Like our page: BigD Gaming | Facebook | https://www.facebook.com/bigdgaming
- Steamgroup also used for events and news annoucements
- Allows integration with our website for whitelist features on Squad servers
- Join our group: Steam Community :: Group :: BigD Gaming | http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bigdgamingau
- YouTube revamped and ready for big things in the near future
- Subscribe to our channel: BigD Gaming | https://www.youtube.com/user/BigDCommunity
Community Events & Competitions
Did you know events take approximately 10-15 hours of preparation before event start? Its crazy to think of the amount of effort and time a few put into running great events for us all
- The first events in February revolved around organised AAS game-play
- Op Squad Madness
- Valentines Day special + giveaways
- In April we went all out and organised the super successful, objective-based event Op Birdwood for ANZAC Day
- Story driven content + pre-recorded voice backstory
- Structured teams with pre-planning
- Event took Three Weeks to plan and excute
- During the middle portion of the year, Skirm10 our very own 10vs10 team competition kicked off for over Two Months
- 8 Team Round Robin
- 3 seperate matches played each week for 7 weeks
- Rounds streamed and record with weekly recaps
- Grand Final streamed live by multiple cameraman
- Influx of players and units into the community
- Fast forward to September and our very own event team is born,who start off by organising quality teamwork events for the next couple months:
- Road to Logar - Organised AAS
- Back to Logar - Organised AAS
- Kings of Chora - Organised AAS
- Storage Wars: Militia Strikes Back- Organised AAS
- Ghosts of Gorodok - Territory control with FOBs
- Checkmate - Scenario based
- BigD YOLO: our take on a One Life event style kicked off in October with great success
- Six successful YOLO events over October & November
- Various tweaks and changes to improve the experience
- Admin Cam made available to those who have died - so to watch the action
- War Games YOLO with story-driven missions
- More to come in the future...
- Finally, we rounded out the year with a celebration of Squad launching One Year ago on steam with:
- BigD Squadiversary event
- Organised PAAS gameplay
- Teams balance with community units
- Pre-selected commanders
So I just typed up way more words than I did in high school...
To wrap up, again a big thank you to all who have contributed and helped to grow and make this community what it is, from all my admins Junior and upwards, to the many many community members who love the salt, I just love the BigD.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Head Community Admin