RX480 vs GTX1060: The battle for middle budget

Sgt-JoeKickAss

Donator
Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane
www.youtube.com
G'Day everyone,

I have a new computer in the works. Tossing up between an AMD RX480 card or GTX1060 when it drops on the 19th July.

Has anyone here bought an RX480? Or a last gen RX card? I am an Nvidia boy for years now, giving my GTX960 to my brother. The RX480 sounds like a beast, and is well priced. I am wondering whether I should make a switch to the Red team. Thoughts?

(For those that want to know what I am on about just google RX480 vs. Nvidia).

I am looking for some first hand info from AMD owners. Are the Squad issues AMD CPU related or AMD Graphics related? If the latter, I am locking in Nvidia.

poosloth

Donator
Aug 2, 2010
Brisbane
I've haven't touched my AMD FX 8350 8 core or my asus radeon 7950 for god knows how long and it plays squad flawlessly, and every other game I might add. Not a fanboy of either but over the last few years I can't fault my AMD system especially for the price.

Sgt-JoeKickAss

Donator
Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane
www.youtube.com
I've haven't touched my AMD FX 8350 8 core or my asus radeon 7950 for god knows how long and it plays squad flawlessly, and every other game I might add. Not a fanboy of either but over the last few years I can't fault my AMD system especially for the price.
Cheers mate. I am no fanboy but obviously im more comfortable with Nvidia, but id me more than happy to make the switch. The RX480 has a killer price point and performance, props to AMD for such a competitive product.

poosloth

Donator
Aug 2, 2010
Brisbane
I will be considering upgrading to possibly a rx480 and a SSD once vehicles are released on squad. I remember upgrading every 6 months back in the day. Pretty happy with how its performed. Where do you normally buy your gear from ?

YAK

Oct 29, 2011
I used to buy AMD (had 2x 6850s, 7950 and 7850), but their drivers are so terrible i gave up. They make more noise and run at higher temps (even using supposedly decent aftermarket coolers like MSI/Sapphire).
I'd wait for the benchmarks for the 1060. But it is clear that squad runs better on intel/nvidia. I was considering swapping back when i heard about the 480, but in my opinion it's fallen flat. I honestly can't see a reason for going with AMD outside of price.

bobbavet

Donator
Jul 1, 2016
East Maitland NSW
Gday Sgt Joe

It's all choices and $$$ on PC mate and lots to consider.

GTX1080 would be nice but it's all $$$$. If ya have them I would get one big card for sure. I'd go for a 1080/1070 over a 1060/480.
The reference 1060 and 480 have been gimped to be honest to meet a price point (memory/power).
I would go definitely go a non reference OC model of either. With more power pins with 8gb for the 480 or 6gb for the 1060.
A non reference 1060 may also have Sli.

I bought a 2nd hand AMD 295x2 Dual Gpu card. I can play [email protected] on full servers with Xfire.

Have had no problems with AMD drivers presently or previous Nvida when I had the duel GTX690.

Don't forget your CPU. As Squad implements more DX12 it will benefit more from more cores and more threads. In fact I think my good fps has a bit to do with my hex core Intel cpu.

Current AMD processors also have high cores and threads but it is the way they are designed (architecture) that is the problem in performance. So Intel multicore hyperthread (k models) are currently the go.

AMD are moving towards the new Zen architecture late this year which hopefully will improve the situation and bring a good affordable alternative to Intel.

I have used all brands in my builds. Atm I am leaning towards:

AMD Gpu as architecture deals with DX12/Mantle features more efficiently and faster on GPU. Nvidia's architecture has to send this to CPU for emulation and back to Gpu.
Older AMD cards are improving and Nvidia cards are dropping away as DX12 is implementing.
Nvidia will always use emulation unless they decide to use AMD GCN licensed architecture and hell may as well freeze over.

Intel Cpu as they have the best hands down efficient and fast on a proven architecture.

Personally I am holding out to see what this RX490 is all about. If it is a dual 480 gpu card and is 15-20% better than the 295x2 I will be considering. But if xfire ever drops out for Squad I'd be rooted.
Alternatively I am going to see what the 1080ti is all about. I would ideally want to get back to single Gpu. I went 4k 40" and paying the price, but it's been fun along the way.
I have a love/hate relationship with PC gaming. lols

Sgt-JoeKickAss

Donator
Mar 5, 2011
Brisbane
www.youtube.com
Cheers for the replies gents. @bobbavet CPU is no issue, im definitely buying an i7-6700 so that shouldn't be an issue (for video rending + CAD ) hence this option has reduced the $$$ available for GPU.

If the general consensus is Intel + Nvidia for Squad then so be it. But I was keen to give AMD a shot this round. But seeing as Squad is the only game I want to reliably play then I may go with the green team once again.

BigD Server Donations

Total amount
AU$603.00
Goal
AU$500.00