What is The best gaming headset for the money?

YAK

Oct 29, 2011
I really wouldn't recommend any 'gaming' headset whatsoever, you generally pay extra for a shittier product because of the word 'gaming'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgCMRai9K8I

That is a great video that sort of explains it.

It would be my recommendation that you buy a pair of good headphones and compliment it with a desk mic or a clip on mic (super cheap). It'll last a lot longer, have better sound, better mic, and it will be more comfortable.

Around your price range i'd recommend Philips SHP9500 (amazing value, but you might need to get them from ebay..)
If you can't find those, or they are out of your budget, maybe try the Takstar HI2050 (another amazing value pair of headphones)

Check out some reviews!

I'm currently using a pair of Audio technica ad900x (changed the pads to more comfy pads) which are awesome, but probably a bit excessive. (Xavo, if he was still around would back me up :p )

DarkBot

Donator
Mar 4, 2016
Australia
Well I recently just bought the Plantronics RIG 500HD... They are great quality for the price.. Speakers are a bit to small for my liking (personal preference as 50mm drivers are my fave), but goddam are they light I barely feel them on my head..
The Dolby feature on them is good, but I do recommend if anyone is getting a set, EQ them first on a youtube clip first before gaming... Worth it!

YAK

Oct 29, 2011
Well I recently just bought the Plantronics RIG 500HD... They are great quality for the price.. Speakers are a bit to small for my liking (personal preference as 50mm drivers are my fave), but goddam are they light I barely feel them on my head..
The Dolby feature on them is good, but I do recommend if anyone is getting a set, EQ them first on a youtube clip first before gaming... Worth it!
Isn't dolby just software? ie, anyone can get it?

Post your review when you get them war, i'm excited for you haha

Sep 6, 2007
Collinsville
tinyurl.com

These Philips SHP9500 head phones sound great, but I did have the worst, most painful ones before, these are very comfortable, I can keep them on all day, you tend to forget that you have then on. They make me want to listen to music all day.
They do heat your ears up a little bit, but these are the first ones I have ever had that are over ear, so other over ear may do the same. but if the temp in your room is under 30 you should be fine.

The open backs mean that I hear whats going on around me. I don't get in trouble for not listening to the wife when I got headphones on anymore :)

to test their surround sound-ness, I used this

and the mic is a lot better.

A big thanks to YAK man for helping me out.

Reactions: AussieFirebird

YAK

Oct 29, 2011
nice war, glad it worked out for you! i get secretly frustrated whenever someone is telling me how good their gaming headset is, they haven't experienced a true soundstage :D

Element those are awesome, i used them for ages before upgrading to the 900x

Reactions: AintWarHeLL(hehe)
Jan 18, 2016
nice war, glad it worked out for you! i get secretly frustrated whenever someone is telling me how good their gaming headset is, they haven't experienced a true soundstage :D

Element those are awesome, i used them for ages before upgrading to the 900x
is it much of an upgrade? might have to upgrade myself :cool:

YAK

Oct 29, 2011
is it much of an upgrade? might have to upgrade myself :cool:
Not sure, i used the ad700 (without the x). I think they're pretty similar.

My ad900x is a lot lighter, can't really comment on the audio, maybe its noticeable, but its been so long i wouldn't be able to tell you the difference. I personally wouldn't upgrade until your 700s break.

I found the pads on the new audio technica ATH range to be not as comfy as i had expected, so i bought these, - made a huge difference.
View: http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Velor-Memory-Replacements-Earpads/dp/B00MFDX4YO

Feb 18, 2016
I've got a bunch of headphones for various tasks:
  • Sennheiser 280HD Pro
  • Sennheiser HD 477's (14 years old!)
  • Klipsch Reference ONE
  • Turtle Beach XP500
  • Razer Tiamat 7.1
And a lot of people find this baffling, but I use the Razer Tiamat for all my gaming! They plug into an ASUS Xonar card thru five, 3.5mm analog surround jacks.

I don't know if it's the analog jacks, the sound card's preamp or the independent speakers, but they offer the best directional sound for fps games.

The 280's offer better sound quality, especially (seriously) for games with 24-biit 48KHz audio; Battlefield 4 sounds amazing with them, but they're a closed back headphone so for direction, they're average.

And the Turtle Beach is average sound quality; they're just a leftover from when I played on X360 back in 2009.

BigD Server Donations

Total amount
AU$603.00
Goal
AU$500.00